(Middleton / South Australia - 15/2/2015): The Subway® Summer Surf Series crowned their South Australian champions on a scorching hot summer's day in fun two to three foot surf at Middleton Beach yesterday.
Australia's newest junior surfing series saw competitors from right across the State enjoy the perfect conditions on offer.
Amy Gore (Christies Beach, SA) was a standout performer winning both the under 16 and under 18 girl’s divisions.
Gore surfed with power and style, throwing down a lethal mixture of forehand carves. "The waves were really fun today. I am happy to win the under 16 and under 18 divisions. It has been a great day for me", Gore said.
The Under 16 boy’s final was convincingly won by South Coast local Levi Baillie. Baillie dominated the final, finding the best waves and stylishly gauging a series of powerful backhand hits to take an impressive win from Harrison Green, with Ruka Tait in third, and Alexander Parker fourth.
"I started with a good wave early in the final and then I paddled out the back for a set wave. That wave was the best wave I rode all day. It was great to get in the final and I'm stoked with winning this competition", Bailey said.
The much anticipated under 18 boy’s division was won by Cooper Saunders. Cooper held on for a popular win despite suffering a dislocated knee on his last wave in the final. Saunders won himself a three-day training camp at the Hurley Surfing Australia High Performance Centre. Cooper enjoyed the rip bowl right hander's, defeating Luke Sykora, with Caspian Zalups in third and Ky Swan fourth.
Current Australian under 18 Junior Girls Champion Tayla Hanak ruled the line-up with a combined 17.76 point total including a 9.43 in the under 21 girl’s final. Hanak found some great waves to take the win from Maddy Warner in second, Yasmin Hardy in third and Alexandra Novak fourth.
The under 21 boy’s final was filled with South Australia’s most talented up and coming surfers. At the end of the twenty minute final it was the crowd favourite Lachlan Shultz who rose to the occasion to take a closely fought win from Mitch Imgraben, Joel Van der Stelt in third and Caspian Zalups fourth.
"This is a great win for me. I feel like I have been surfing well and to win this event means so much to me. Thanks Subway and Surfing SA for bringing this series to South Australia", Schultz said.
Competitors escaped the heat of the day, making the most of the expression sessions and free lunch on offer thanks to Subway.
The Subway Surf Camp at the renowned Hurley Surfing Australia High Performance Centre is conducted by Australia's leading surf coaches, and will provide participants with the guidance and training they need to make the transition from surfer to professional athlete.
The Subway Summer Surf Series will help young Australians continue to develop their passion for surfing, whether it be professionally or recreationally and carry on to enjoy a lifetime of surfing.
Ambassadors for the Subway Summer Surf Series are WSL competitor and 2012 World Champion Joel Parkinson and leading WSL female competitor Laura Enever.
The Subway Summer Surf Series is proudly supported by Billabong, Surfing Australia and Surfing South Australia.
Event # 10 Subway Summer Surf Series - South Australia.
Under 16 Girls:
1. Amy Gore (Christies Beach, SA) - 12.67pts
2. Georgie Daish (Victor Harbor, SA) - 8.76pts
3. Yasmin Hardy (Seaford, SA) - 8.14pts
4. Zara Lovering (Adelaide, SA) - 3.5pts
Under 16 Boys:
1. Levi Baillie (Victor Harbor, SA) - 14.33pts
2. Harrison Green (West Beach, SA) - 6.97pts
3. Ruka tait (Seaford, SA) - 6.53pts
4. Alexander Parker (Seaford, SA) - 5.3pts
Under 18 Girls:
1. Amy Gore (Christies Beach, SA) - 9.0pts2. Georgie Daish (Victor Harbor, SA) - 7.53pts
3. Maddy Warner (Victor Harbor, SA) - 3.66pts
4. Dimity Payne (Port Elliot, SA) - 2.87pts
Under 18 Boys:
1. Cooper Saunders (Seaford, SA) - 14.27pts
2. Luke Sykora (Yorkes Peninsula, SA) - 10.53pts
3. Caspian Zalups (Seaford, SA) - 9.34pts
4. Ky Swan (Seaford, SA) - 9.0pts
Under 21 Girls:
1. Tayla Hanak (Victor Harbor, SA) - Combined Pts 4000
2. Maddy Warner (Victor Harbor, SA) - Combined pts 3180
3. Yasmin Hardy (Seaford, SA) - Combined pts 3180
4. Alexandra Novak (Seaford, SA) - Combined pts 2680
Under 21 Boys:
1. Lachlan Shultz (West Beach, SA) - Combined pts 3720
2.Mitch Imgraben (Seaford, SA) - Combined pts 3340
3. Joel Vanderstelt (Port Elliot, SA) - Combined pts 3180
4. Caspian Zalups (Seaford, SA) - 2800pts
Images supplied by Surfing Australia