He’s been second twice but today Richie Porte finally took home the trophy, winning the 2017 Santos Tour Down Under by an impressive margin.
It was Porte’s first race back after breaking his shoulder blade five months ago in the Olympic Games road race.
“After crashing in Rio and injuring myself in a nasty crash, it wasn't too hard to motivate myself for this race,” Porte said.
“I had a good break and I came here fresh, physically and mentally.
“It was a dream for me to win this race.”
But the dream only happened because of superb riding both by him and the BMC Racing Team.
“It's incredible to come back here and win the Santos Tour Down Under after being so close in the last two years,” Porte continued .
“I owe each day of racing successfully here to my team-mates.
"They took me to the line every day and it's a massive credit to them.”
• 2017 Santos Tour Down Under Champion: Richie Porte
(AUS | BMC Racing Team)
• iiNet Sprint Champion: Caleb Ewan (AUS | ORICA-SCOTT)
• 2017 Subaru King of the Mountain Champion: Thomas De Gendt (BEL | Lotto Soudal)
• 2017 Best Young Rider: Jhonatan RESTREPO VALENCIA (COL | Team Katusha Alpecin)
• 2017 Wilson Parking Teams Leader: UniSA-Australia
• Tanya Denver Memorial Award for the Highest Places South Australian: Rohan Dennis (AUS | BMC Racing Team)
• Be Safe Be Seen MAC Stage Winner: Caleb Ewan (AUS | ORICA-SCOTT)
• Most Competitive Rider of Stage 6: Jack Bauer (NZL | Quick-Step Floors)
Images- Peter Argent